Welcome to Year 3
It is another wonderful year at St Silas and we are pleased to welcome you to Year 3. Moving into Key Stage 2 can be a big change for both children and parents. Often this can be a scary and intimidating time however; we are always here to offer support and guidance when required.
Routines in year 3
- We have Maths, Literacy and Guided Reading every day.
- In the afternoons we learn different subjects such as Science, Geography, History, Art, Music, DT, PE and RE.
- PE/Swimming is currently on Mondays.
- Each child is allocated two or reading books each week. Their books are changed on a designated day. The children have a Guided Reading session each week with a teacher and explore their understanding of a text, at least three times a week.
- Homework is sent home every Friday. This should be completed and handed in by the following Thursday.
How can parents support learning?
We greatly appreciate the role in supporting your child through homework. Your child will be expected to read every night at home, independently and under adult supervision. We encourage children to enjoy their reading, to explore characterisation and discuss the storylines. To ensure that the children become the best that they can be they must complete their homework on a weekly basis. This will include Maths/English, Spellings and Times Tables. Children have access to learning their times tables through the ‘Times Tables Rock stars’ App which they can practise at home. We also encourage children to write using the cursive font in school. Please practise this at home to improve their handwriting. Thank you for your support and we look forward to an exciting year full of learning!
Mrs Hussain and Mr Hadwin
Year 3 Knowledge Organisers